Friday, March 27, 2009

Turn signal please!

List of things I see people do while driving down the road:

  • Talking on the cell phone
  • Eating
  • Reading the newspaper (SERIOUSLY!!!)
  • Text messaging
  • Reaching for something in the passenger or back seat
  • Singing
  • Opening mail
  • Jotting down notes

Why is it that the everyday driver can do pretty much anything that you are not supposed to do while driving, but cannot do the MOST SIMPLE task that is required when driving? When you were 16, going for your license, I'm pretty sure your instructor did not say to you: "Now remember to not pay attention to the road by shoving a cheeseburger down your throat and catching up on today's news!" Seriously, people! Is it THAT HARD to use your turn signal? Just a little flick of the finger is all it takes... And not THAT flick of the finger, which people can do pretty well, too!

It all boils down to one thing... people are so lazy that they can't pay attention to what's going on around them while on the road! I am driving to work yesterday and an 18-wheeler (going too fast as always) literally ran me off the road. No turn signal, no response to me laying on the horn, and it all happened in the view of a state trooper! I had to slam on my breaks on the shoulder of the road about 50 feet behind the trooper as he was getting into his car after giving some other idiot a ticket. Needless to say, he gave me a thumbs up to make sure I was OK and flew after the truck. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I was one of the drivers above who was immersed in a novel.

You wouldn't walk around your house at night without flipping on/off your light switch. Don't change lanes without flipping on your turn signal!

... Just don't be that old guy who drives with it on for 5 miles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment